Coastal Roots Farm
Position: Seasonal Farm Stand Associate
Hours: 12-16 hours per week. Thursdays and Sundays. Duration of seasonal position will be through September 30, 2020 and may be extended through October 2020.
Reports to: Impact, Evaluation, and Grants Manager with day-to-day oversight by the Post-Harvest Distribution Coordinator
About Coastal Roots Farm
Coastal Roots Farm (CRF) is a nonprofit Jewish community farm and education center. We cultivate healthy, connected communities by integrating sustainable agriculture, food justice, and ancient Jewish wisdom.
We share organic produce with those who need it most and connect people to compelling Jewish ideas and traditions through farming and food. We distribute food through our on-site pay-what-you-can Farm Stand, pop up mobile farm stands, and donations to hunger relief organizations. We offer hands-on education and experiences through School and Group Visits, Farm Camp Farm Tours, Volunteer Opportunities, Jewish Agricultural Festivals, and other community events, inviting our neighbors to connect to the land, Jewish tradition, and each other.
Coastal Roots Farm is located in Encinitas, CA on approximately 17 acres of land. Our Farm consists of vegetable production fields, education farm and gardens, a food forest, chickens, and compost operations. Coastal Roots Farm was incubated by the Leichtag Foundation in 2014 and received 501(c)(3) public charity status in 2015.
Coastal Roots Farm is seeking a seasonal part-time (12-16 hrs/week), seasonal Farm Stand Associate to support our efforts to feed our community, especially those who lack access to fresh and healthy food. Since inception in 2014, the Farm has donated more than 130,000 pounds of fresh produce food insecure community members here in San Diego. We serve and welcome people of all backgrounds and strive to ensure that everyone in our community has fair and equal access to fresh, healthy food.
The Seasonal Farm Stand Associate is responsible for supporting the Farm’s Pay-What-You-Can Farm Stand, our on-site social enterprise. They will work with the Impact, Evaluation and Grants Manager and the Post-Harvest and Distribution Coordinator to support and ensure successful, safe and effective operations of the enterprise. This includes supporting operational flow, including traffic control, social distancing enforcement, and customer service. As a key “face” of Coastal Roots Farm, this role requires a radically welcoming and outgoing individual, with a passion for supporting food security efforts and for building a local and sustainable food system.
This role is seasonal, part-time and entry level. Our Farm Stand is open on Thursdays and Sundays only. Candidates must be available to work both days.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions may include:
- Supporting all necessary tasks associated with safely and effectively operating our Pay-What-You-Can Farm Stand.
- Supporting and staffing all phases of Farm Stand operations including assisting with setup/breakdown, pre-bagging produce, staffing the welcome gate, directing traffic control and customer queue lines, enforcing social distancing, packing up customer produce orders, and supporting Farm Stand sales through our point of sale system.
- Providing exemplary customer service for all visitors as well as translation support for Spanish-only speaking families.
Required Qualifications and Experiences
- Customer service experience.
- Ability to work Thursdays and Sundays.
- Outstanding communication skills and interpersonal skill
- Passion for farming, food justice, and/or food systems.
- High level of reliability, motivation and a willingness to
- Flexibility and willingness to take on a variety of tasks along with an ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative, team
- Ability to lift heavy boxes and stand for long periods of time.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish).
Reports directly to the Impact, Evaluation, and Grants Manager.
$13.00 per hour
Typical Working Conditions
Seasonal Farm Stand Associate will work outdoors. The position must be capable of moving objects and vehicles as needed. There will be exposure to Southern California outside temperatures, chemicals used in the agricultural industry, and loud noises.
Essential Physical Tasks
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Continuous walking, standing, climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, lifting, cutting and carrying.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.